Thursday, January 13, 2011

Weather Delay

Atlanta has been paralyzed with ice and snow for the last week, so I decided to postpone my peroneal tendon surgery for a week. I was supposed to have my surgery today, but I'm going to have it next Thursday instead.

I'm not exactly sure how I injured my tendon, but it was probably during the time I was training for a half marathon this past spring. I recall hurting my ankle really bad, but did not think it was broken, so I didn't see a doctor about it right away. Later, I noticed a lingering pain that would not go away, so I eventually consulted my doctor about it. He put me on anti-inflammatory medication and told me not to run for a while; however, this did not help, so he sent me to an orthopedic surgeon. Once there, they determined that nothing was broken, but he thought that I may have torn the peroneal tendon. An MRI suggested that indeed something was torn and that surgery was the recommended solution. I have decided to go ahead and get it taken care of.

I'm a little bit anxious about it and would like to just get it over with. I think it's going to be really tough being on crutches for such a long time and I'll definitely miss being active and exercising.

I really appreciate those who have gone through this surgery who have blogged about their experiences. I want to be able to do the same thing for anyone who is going through this surgery as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment