Friday, January 21, 2011

The Nerve Block Wears Off

The nerve block I received during surgery lasted for about 12 to 15 hours. As it began to wear off, I started feeling a good deal of pain overnight. My parents helped me with my pain medications and brought me water multiple times. I have been feeling somewhat dehydrated. The pain medications gave me some strange dreams, but overall I think they worked fairly well.

My mom was concerned because I was running a mild fever yesterday. I was told by Shirley from the surgery center today that it's normal to have a slight fever right after surgery, but that if I have one three days after surgery or so, it is probably the sign of an infection. Hopefully, the fever symptoms will not return. Getting a staph infection is probably one of my biggest fears in going through the recovery process.

I tried to eat some cereal this morning, but ended up feeling nauseous, so I took one of the anti-nausea drugs the doctor prescribed. It knocked me out for another couple hours.

Currently, I'm not in a whole lot of pain, but will probably need to take some more pills once the pain comes back. I'm hoping to move over to the couch today and watch TV in my living room.

I've been reading a book called The Discovery of France, which I've almost finished. I also watched The Motorcycle Diaries through Netflix on my laptop. I've also been using Facebook a whole lot. I'm hoping that may in some of this downtime I'll be able to do some creative writing as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment